Sunday, March 11, 2012

Lighting Issues and Junk...

So some of you probably saw on Facebook, but for those that didn't, I had a pretty epic lighting fail on Stacey.  The left headlight has been problematic for a while, but whilst driving to tennis, I also had all my parkers fail on me as well... No tail lights, no interior lights, and no front parkers whilst driving at night time with only one headlight.  Yeah, not dangerous at all!!!  So, figured it was probably time to do something about that...


I started off by pulling the whole front end apart and removing the intercooler as well, to make accessing all the wires easier.  I decided that starting on the parkers was more important, as I can kinda deal with one headlight, but can't deal with people not being able to see me at all.  I put the fuse back in, and everything started working again... weird!!  I hate having faults that randomly fix themselves, because then you can't really troubleshoot them, and you have no idea whats wrong.  Anyways, given that that was sorted, onto the headlights!


I had a spare indicator stalk that came with the car, and as part of the troubleshooting I decided to replace it.


Looking at the condition of these terminals, you would think this would be the cause of the issue right? Nope!!!!


I don't know if the picture shows it, but somehow 2 of the wires decided that they wanted to be friends... through quite a considerable amount of plastic.  They melted their way through and shorted out, which caused the issue.  


Re-terminated, re-soldered, re-connected, and everything seems to be happy.


Also decided to sort out the abomination that was the antenna hole cover.  Cut out the windscreen glue that was used and replaced it with this much neater and cleaner grommet :)


While I was putting everything back together, I noticed that my horn wasn't really fitting into the steering wheel... Perhaps this is why?  This is the worst of it, but the wheel was bent on all 3 spokes.  It happened while I was pulling the boss kit off the steering column, and anyone who's done one of these before knows just how stubborn they can be sometimes.  While I did get it off eventually, unfortunately this is the result...


Enter cheap SAAS wheel for $99 from super cheap auto... Given that I had a track day on the next day, I figured it might be useful to have a kind of useful steering wheel that I don't have to worry about!  It actually works quite well.  Given the seating position for me in this car, the deep corn steering wheel makes the driving position a tad odd and cramped, so having a flat wheel has made driving Stacey feel a bit more natural :)

Anyways, stay tuned for the track day post that will be coming very soon!

No comments: